Turfgrass and Landscape Intern
Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
• Ability to lift up to 100 pounds
• Ability to be on your feet for extended periods of time
• Previous grounds keeping experience preferred
• Progressive and stable work history
• Ability to climb and work on ladders
• Ability to read and fully understand cautions and warnings
• Maturity and common sense around power equipment
• Ability to travel both air and surface – valid driver’s license required
The Turfgrass and Landscape Intern is expected to help maintain the grounds in a professional and well-manicured condition. Mowing, fine trim work and all care of flower and shrub areas are the responsibility of the Intern. The Intern will maintain a high quality grounds appearance.
Due to weather conditions as well as the need for assistance on other special projects, this individual will also occasionally perform certain maintenance duties. The Intern must adhere to all safety regulations. Assume other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Tasks:
• Mowing, trimming and caring for 16 acres of Buffalograss turf. This includes caring for existing areas, establishing new areas and repairing areas through seeding and plugging.
• Learning about, and applying properly, herbicides and fertilizers to Buffalograss and cool season grass.
• Maintaining 5 acres of native prairie grass through periodic mowing and selective weed control.
• Learning about and identifying the various native plants in landscape beds. Dividing, propagating, seeding and planting to fill in and maintain areas.
• Maintaining landscape beds with mulch, pre-emergent, hand weeding and use of herbicides.
• Maintaining 19,000 sqft of native planted green roof space. This will include, seeding, planting, mowing, trimming and weeding.